Prospect Park, circa 1885. Lewis Nostrand Anderson Jr. is seen playing tennis with his cousin and two unidentified women. In 1881 lawn tennis was first introduced in Prospect Park and it became a popular recreational activity soon after. Thousands of visitors of all ages went to the park during their leisure time to enjoy outdoor activities and spend time with family and friends. The pastime eventually led to the building of the “Tennis House” in 1910, which was located in the Long Meadow section of Prospect Park. Today, the Tennis House is used as an office for Park Landscape management and various maintenance staff.
BHS Virtual BookStore
TagsAfrican American history Architecture Archives Bedford-Stuyvesant Brooklyn Brooklyn Bridge Brooklyn Heights Brooklyn Historical Society Brooklyn Navy Yard Brooklyn Past & Present Brooklyn photographs Brooklyn photos civil war Clinton Hill Coney Island Coney Island History Project Corporation Counsel Crossing Borders Bridging Generations Dodgers Education Emancipation Proclamation epbhs Flatbush Fort Greene Historic Landmark Hurricane Sandy In Our Own Words Iraq Library Map of the Month maps New York Times Oral History Oral History Highlights Park Slope Photographs photography Photography Collection Photo of the Week Portraits of Brooklyn Vietnam Veterans Prospect Park Public Perspectives Red Hook Williamsburg Women Veterans