This photograph was taken by Eugene Armbruster circa 1923. Armbruster was born in Baden-Baden Germany in 1865. In 1882 he immigrated to New York City and lived in Bushwick, Brooklyn until his death in 1943. Around the time of his retirement from the H. Henkel Cigar Box Manufacturing Company in 1920, Armbruster became an amateur photographer and local historian writing for the “Old-Timer” column of the Brooklyn Eagle and publishing pamphlets about local history. Armbruster illustrated these pamphlets with his personal line drawings, photographs, and copy photographs. In 1940, Armbruster developed cataracts which forced him to give up his favorite hobby and on September 21, 1943 he died at age seventy-eight.
This photograph is one example from the many in the Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks housed at Brooklyn Historical Society. The collection contains over 4,000 black-and-white photographic prints taken by Armbruster. The photographs document elements of many Brooklyn neighborhoods, circa 1920 to 1930, including views of streets, ferry terminals, church buildings, schools, wooden-frame houses, and elevated train track and stations.
According to a note written by Armbruster on the verso of this photograph, this image shows an apothecary shop that was located on the southside of Church Avenue. The shop was once the rear extension of the Old Waldron House before it was converted into a grocery store in 1873. The store was turned it into an apothecary/ tinsmith shop in 1920. The building was torn down in February 1925.
Interested in seeing more photos from BHS’s collection? Visit our online image gallery, which includes a selection of our images. To search our entire collection of images visit BHS’s Othmer Library Wed-Fri, 1:00-5:00 p.m.