This photograph, circa 1950, features Louis and Rose Lebman, husband and wife. Louis Lebman owned the Wellmade Glove shop in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Lebman was a Polish immigrant who worked as a glovemaking apprentice before opening his own shop in Brooklyn, specializing in fine gloves produced from fabric and goatskin. Lebman and his wife Rose lived with their daughter Maria in the same building that housed the Wellmade Glove shop. This photograph was taken at the rear of the shop at 480 Seventh Avenue, Brooklyn.
BHS’s archive holds the Wellmade Glove records, which includes extensive information about the shop, the glovemaking business, and the Lebman family.
Interested in seeing more photos from BHS’s collection? Visit our online image gallery, which includes a selection of our images. To search our entire collection of images visit BHS’s Othmer Library Wed-Fri, 1:00-5:00 p.m.