This photo, from the Louise Hasbrook collection, chronicles a group of happy partygoers at a 1946 reception at the Brooklyn Navy Yard YMCA. Hasbrook, a longtime administrative assistant at the Navy Yard’s YMCA, chronicled her employment and the goings-on at the branch from the 1930s until its closing in 1964, just two years before the Navy Yard was decommissioned. Over the course of four decades, the Brooklyn Navy Yard branch served about 47 million military personnel.
Today, almost 70 years later, BHS’s building has a similar buzz of anticipation. Our building is already teeming with people and festive accoutrements in preparation of tonight’s celebration of our 150th year and the reopening of our newly-renovated first floor and lower level. See you this evening at Brooklyn Bounty!
Interested in seeing more photos from BHS’s collection? Visit our online image gallery, which includes a selection of our images. Interested in seeing even more historic Brooklyn images? Visit our new website here. To search BHS’s entire collection of images, archives, maps, and special collections visit BHS’s Othmer Library Wed-Fri, 1:00-5:00 p.m.