Visit the Othmer Library
Please note: The Othmer Library will be closed to the public Thursday, April 17th, Friday, April 18th, and Saturday, April 19th for a private location shoot. We will resume operating hours of 1pm to 5pm on Wednesday, April 23rd. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Hours and Admission
The Othmer library is open Wednesday through Saturday from 1:00-5:00 PM.
Admission to the Library is included with Museum admission. For directions, suggested admissions rates, and other museum information, see our general information page
Upcoming ClosuresThe Othmer Library will be closed on Thursday, April 17th, Friday, April 18th, and Saturday, April 19th.
Procedures for using the Library
You do not need an appointment to use books, periodicals, newspapers, maps and atlases, and the searchable database of our digitized images and oral histories during open hours.
You do need an appointment to use the Archive & Manuscript Collections. Please request appointments at least one week in advance by filling out our online form.
Appointments are available only during open library hours. If you need to do extensive research in the collections, you may request an appointment outside of these hours; these requests will be accommodated on a case-by-case basis.
Researchers must work in accordance with the following procedures, to ensure the safety and security of the collections:
- All researchers must fill out a registration form
- All coats and bags must be checked. You may bring in a pad of paper, laptop computer, or digital camera.
- Cell phones should be turned off or silenced. Phone conversations in the library are not permitted.
- No food or drink allowed in the library.
- Use pencils only; ink pens or other writing utensils that can leave a permanent mark on materials are not allowed.
- Prior to handling fragile or rare materials, we may request that you wash your hands or wear gloves, which we will provide.
- There are a limited number of electrical outlets available in the library. The Library staff will assist you in connecting to our wirless network and finding power for your device, but the Library has limited connections available for researchers.
- The library is kept very cool to aid in the preservation of our collections. You should dress in layers and bring a sweater with you. Bulky coats and outerwear must be checked at the reference desk as part of our procedures for maintaining the security and safety of the collections.
Photography, Photocopies, and Image Reproduction
Digital photography is allowed and photocopying and other reproduction services are available, dependant upon the condition and copyright status of the materials. For further information, please visit the Photocopies and Reproductions page.