Visit the Othmer Library
Hours and AdmissionThe
Othmer Library is open to the public Wednesdays - Saturdays from 1:00 -
5:00 pm. All BHS collections are non-circulating, meaning they cannot
be checked out or taken home. Plan accordingly!
Admission to the library is included with Museum admission. For upcoming closures, directions, and suggested admissions rates, see our general information page
- Because our archival collections are not stored in our main reading room, an appointment is required to use archival material. Email email@example.com or call 347-381-3708 at least two days ahead of time to make an appointment. You will receive an email confirmation once you are booked.
are available during open library hours (Wednesdays - Saturdays from
1:00 - 5:00 pm). If staff and space availability allow, we may be able
to grant appointments outside of these hours.
- No appointment is needed to use maps, books, or periodicals or to search the image or oral history databases.
What to Expect
To help prepare for your visit to Brooklyn Historical Society:
- Our reading room is open to the public from 1:00 – 5:00 pm. You may come and go at any point during the afternoon.
- When you arrive, please check in at the Admissions Desk on the first floor. The museum opens at 12:00.
- You will be asked to check your coats and bags. Keys to lockers are available at no charge at the Admissions Desk.
- You may bring pencils (no pens), notepads, laptops, or tablets into the reading room. No food, drink, or gum.
- It is very cold in our library, so bring an extra layer to keep warm!
- Digital photography is permitted without a flash.
- There is free wireless available in the library using the password bhs123456
- There are a limited number of electrical outlets in our historic reading room.
We have small lockers available at no cost that measure 17” x 12” x 11”
We have a limited number (4) of tall lockers that measure 17” x 12” x 33”
You may sign out a locker key at no cost from the Admissions Desk on the first floor. Please check your personal items in the lockers (located near the ground floor) before entering the library on the 2nd floor.