Visit the Library
Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 1:00-5:00 PM
Location & Directions
128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Please note: Admission to the Library is included with Museum admission. For directions, suggested admissions rates, and other museum information, see our general information page .
You do not need an appointment to use books, periodicals, newspapers, maps and atlases, and the searchable database of our digitized images and oral histories during open hours.
You do need an appointment to use the Archive & Manuscript Collections. Please request appointment at least one week in advance by filling out our online form.
Appointments are available only during open library hours. If you need to do extensive research in the collections, you may request an appointment outside of these hours; these requests will be accommodated on a case-by-case basis.
Library Rules and Procedures
Researchers must agree to abide by the reading room rules:
- All researchers must fill out a registration form
- All coats and bags must be checked. You may bring in a pad of paper, laptop computer, or digital camera.
- Cell phones should be turned off or silenced. Phone conversations in the library are not permitted.
- No food or drink allowed in the library.
- Use pencils only; ink pens or other writing utensils that can leave a permanent mark on materials are not allowed.
- Prior to handling fragile or rare materials, we may request that you wash your hands or wear gloves, which we will provide.
- There is no wireless Internet access and a limited number of electrical outlets available in the library.
- The library is kept quite cool to aid in the preservation of our collections; you may wish to bring a sweater with you.
Photography, Photocopies, and Image Reproduction
Digital photography is allowed and photocopying and other reproduction services are available, dependant upon the condition and copyright status of the materials. For further information, please visit the Photocopies and Reproductions page.
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
BACK TO TOP